York Maze offers the UK’s biggest cash prize of £2000 for growing a UK record breaking pumpkin.
Here at York Maze we are hosting the North of England stage of the International Giant Pumpkin Commonwealth competition this October, and invite giant pumpkin growers across the UK to enter.
May is the ideal time to start planting pumpkin seeds ready for October! An advice sheet and basic guide on how to grow a giant pumpkin is available HERE.
Anyone who sets a new UK record at the York Maze Halloween event will win £2000. If the record isn’t broken the heaviest pumpkin on display at York Maze will win £500, with £250 for the second and £100 for third places. The biggest pumpkin grown by a child will win £50 with goody bags for runners up and all children entering a pumpkin in the competition will get free entry to the York Maze Halloween festival on the pumpkin competition day Saturday 21 October 2017.
The York Maze Halloween Festival takes place from Saturday 21 October to Wednesday 1 November 2017. Events include; pumpkin carving, Ghostmania 2 Ride, spooky barn haunted house, fancy dress competitions and lots of other Halloween activities. The giant pumpkin competition will be held on Saturday 21 October with all entries on display until the event closes. Please see competition rules for more information below.
The York Maze giant pumpkin competition is run in accordance with the Great Pumpkin Commonwealth (GPC) official rules which can be downloaded HERE. Pumpkins entered at York Maze will be eligible for the GPC European and World record prizes pots of up to $6000. GPC Ribbons awarded for 1st to 10th place, plus the Howard Dill plaque for prettiest pumpkin.
1. All pumpkins must be brought to York Maze by 12pm on Saturday 21 October 2017 – the pumpkin weigh-off, to enter the competition. Judging will be at 1pm.
2. The heaviest pumpkin will be deemed the winner.
3. To win the £2000 prize for a UK record breaking pumpkin, the pumpkin must exceed the weight of the current record holder, in 2016 it was 1,021kg (2252lbs), or if that record is broken it must exceed the weight of any new UK record set prior to the York Maze pumpkin weigh-off.
4. If the UK record is not broken the heaviest pumpkin in the weigh-off will win £500, the second £250, and third place £100. The winner will also receive a GPC plaque and there will be ribbons for 2nd to 10th places. In accordance with GPC rules only one cash prize will be awarded per grower/group in each category.
5. There is a category for pumpkins grown by children under 16. The heaviest children’s pumpkin will win £50 with York Maze goody bags for the 2nd & 3rd.
6. There is no fee for entering the York Maze giant pumpkin competition. Entrants get FREE admission to the York Maze Halloween festival on the day of the weigh-off as follows… Adults entering the competition with a pumpkin weighing over 20kg will get one free entry. All children entering a pumpkin into the competition (no minimum pumpkin weight) will get free entry to York Maze on the day. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
7. Pumpkins entered into the competition must remain at York Maze and will be on public display until the end of the Halloween Festival. Pumpkins entered into the competition become the property of York Maze, save that growers may if they wish harvest the seeds at the end of the festival subject to agreement with York Maze. York Maze reserve the right to dispose of the pumpkins as they deem appropriate.
8. Anyone entering the competition agrees to participate in publicity including filming and photography to be used for publicity and marketing purposes.
9. York Maze reserves the right to amend these rules if required and York Maze's decision on awarding prizes is final.
The winner of the 2016 competition was Peter Geyelin from Nottingham with a huge pumpkin weighing in at 248kg, heavier than a baby elephant. Peter took the first prize of £500. Oliver Moorey from Helperby took second place with a respectable 239.5kg pumpkin and a prize of £250.